Best Scented Cat Litter 2023 : Fragrant Litters That Smell Great
Vet-Checked • Pet-Tested • Owner-Approved
For those cat owners who are tired of dealing with the noxious fumes that seem to emanate from Fluffy’s litter box every time she decides to do her “business,” it may be time to consider a scented cat litter. Scented cat litters use natural or artificial fragrances that mask the terrible smells that our beloved…
For those cat owners who are tired of dealing with the noxious fumes that seem to emanate from Fluffy’s litter box every time she decides to do her “business,” it may be time to consider a scented cat litter.
Scented cat litters use natural or artificial fragrances that mask the terrible smells that our beloved four-legged friends produce. If you believe that your friendly furry friend is engaging in chemical warfare with you, it’s time to bring out the scented litters.
Read on to learn more about the key factors that go into determining whether a scented cat litter is right for your household, including common ingredients, factors to watch out for before you buy, and the key differences in scented litters vs. unscented litters.
In This Article...
- What is the Best Scented Cat Litter?
- Choosing the Right Scented Litter for Your Furry Friends
- The Space of Your Home and Whether a Scented Litter is Right for You and Your Cat
- Artificial vs. Natural Cat Litter Fragrances
- Don’t Forget the Usual Considerations when Purchasing a New Litter Brand
- The Importance of Brand in the Litter Industry
- Top Recommended Scented Cat Litters
What is the Best Scented Cat Litter?
Choosing the Right Scented Litter for Your Furry Friends
As cat parents, we strive to make the best possible decisions on behalf of our “fur babies.” While we don’t always get it right, we want to do what’s best for our cats and our households. The unfortunate reality of cat ownership is that, well, they stink. Depending on your cat, they may really, really stink.
Fortunately, many scented litters have hit the market in recent years that offer an alternative to the artificial chemicals and ingredients that may have historically led to problems with allergies and human health. These days, you really should consider investing in a scented litter.
Here are a few factors you should consider when you’re deciding which scented cat litter is right for your home:
- How large is your home? Smaller homes and spaces – like New York City apartments – may benefit more from scented litters than larger homes that might have gotten away with an unscented odor-control litter product.
- Are you comfortable with artificial fragrances, or would you prefer natural fragrances? There are some key differences here, and artificial fragrances tend to be on the lower end of the price scale. Ultimately, it depends on whether you and your household are comfortable with artificial or natural fragrances.
- All the usual considerations when purchasing a litter still apply. Are you on the market for a clumping litter? Non-clumping? Multi-cat? Clay-based? Corn-based? Walnut-based? These options should be considered depending on the product you’re interested in.
- Lastly, you’ll want to consider the brand reputation of the product. Some brands have developed great reputations over the years.
The Space of Your Home and Whether a Scented Litter is Right for You and Your Cat
Smaller spaces will benefit more from scented cat litters than larger spaces. In a small space – such as a studio apartment – you’ll be dependent on the capabilities of the fragrances to keep your space smelling clean and fresh. For those cat owners who enjoy having their friends over and avoiding social ostracizing, you probably don’t want your cat’s litter to create a stinky “hot box” situation in your home.
Larger homes may benefit more from odor control unscented litters than scented litters. You may also prefer to use an unscented litter if you would rather use your own odor control solution such as a plug-in scenting device or other regular fragrance products. The decision is up to you!
Artificial vs. Natural Cat Litter Fragrances
Lots of households prefer natural fragrances when it comes to odor control. You might be inclined to agree, especially since we’re dealing with not only humans, but cats too. However, the lines between artificial and natural are often blurred in the litter business given the intense odors that these products need to control on a regular basis.
You will likely have much more like in finding a good litter for your household if you avoid differentiating between natural and artificial fragrances. Some litters may have natural properties based on their material basis, such as walnut or pinewood litters. However, scented litters will usually beat these types of products when it comes masking and absorbing odors since they have been specifically engineered to avoid the problems of ammonia and other unwanted scents in the home.
Don’t Forget the Usual Considerations when Purchasing a New Litter Brand
All the usual suspects including material, clumping, single vs. multi-cat, and granule shape/size all come into play when purchasing a scented litter. While there are generally fewer scented litters on the market than unscented litters, you should still consider these factors when deciding on which to purchase for your home.
In general, for maximum odor control, you should consider purchasing a clumping, scented litter that offers protection for odors from multiple cats. You may also consider litters designed from alternative types of materials as opposed to just clay, including pine wood and other natural ingredients. These products may not do the trick in multi-cat households or smaller spaces, but they can still provide some level of protection against odors in the home.
The Importance of Brand in the Litter Industry
Many cat litter brands come and go, but a few have managed to stick around for the long haul. These select brands have benefited from their reputations for trustworthiness, high-quality ingredients, and consumer safety. Many brands have won accolades from consumers and professional reviewers alike, including:
- Arm & Hammer
- Tidy Cats
- Scoop Away
In the following product reviews, we’ll look at products from each of these brands to see which scented cat litter is ideal for you and your feline friends. Read on to learn more!
Top Recommended Scented Cat Litters
|Frisco Scented Multi-Cat Clumping Cat Litter||$.35/lb||
Frisco Scented Multi-Cat Clumping Cat Litter
Frisco’s scented cat litter has won fame and fortune by delivering an extremely pleasant fragrance that doesn’t completely crowd out the regular odors in your home. It’s the perfect product for minimizing the stench of the litter box and keeping your kitty happy with a low-dust combination of ingredients that contribute to cleanliness and ease of cleaning.
With a well-tune deodorizing system that makes use of a proprietary formula, Frisco’s scented litter is the ideal solution for many homes that need extra fragrance coverage and odor control. Additionally, the product can be used in multi-cat households for those cat owners who have an entire family of furry friends.
The baseline ingredient for Frisco is clay, and it’s designed to clump in a multi-cat situation. You may also use the Frisco scented litter in both traditional and mechanical (automatic, self-cleaning) litter boxes.
- With a low-key fragrance that’s clean and fresh, you can use Frisco in multi-cat households for improved odor control.
- Additional fragrance is released by paw swipes that springs into action to neutralize offensive odors.
- With a low-dust formula that keeps a dirt-like feel for kitties, you’ll avoid the problems associated with tracking and trailing around the home.
- Some customers complained about the effectiveness of Frisco’s odor control technology, especially in multi-cat settings.
- There may be some issues with clumping with some batches, although this appeared to be an isolated problem.
- Cats with allergies will likely prefer unscented litters, although your mileage may vary depending on the cat.
Arm & Hammer Litter Clump & Seal Multi-Cat Litter
The Arm & Hammer brand name is well-recognized in the industry thanks to its reputation for creating a diverse array of high-quality products, including this scented multi-cat litter. The Arm & Hammer multi-cat formula combines clumping capabilities, odor control, moisture-activated fragrances, and even baking soda to create the perfect setting for excellent odor control in a multi-cat household.
We were especially interested in the use of baking soda to destroy odors, as this is an affordable and effective way to maintain the natural smells of your home without completely flooding it with fragrances and other scents produced by the litter. In addition, this Arm & Hammer product was designed with microparticle technology to give the granules a smoother and softer feel when compared to more traditional litters.
Your kitty will love it, and this fact should make it easier to clean in most circumstances due to a lack of crumbling.
- With moisture-activation technology, the Arm & Hammer multi-cat scented formula can neutralize odors effectively. The company guarantees that your home will remain odor-free for up to 7 days thanks to this combination of microparticle technology and good old-fashioned baking soda.
- Low-dust and low-tracking to keep the kitty, your home, and your family members happy. Offers extra strength for multi-cat households by keeping litter where it belongs – in the box.
- It’s made in the USA – support the economy and American jobs with Arm & Hammer!
- There may be some issues with clumping and odor control in especially large households – make sure to use the right amount of litter for the number of cats in your home.
- Some customers reported strong smells, though this issue probably also depends on the size of your living space.
Tidy Cats Scoop Glade Tough Odor Solutions Cat Litter
When brands combine, great things can happen. Tidy Cats Scoop Glade Tough Odor Solutions cat litter is the perfect example of two brands that have a lot to offer. With a combination of proprietary Tidy Cats absorption technology and the Fresh Glade scent, your home and your cats will be sure to thank you. You’ll also be impressed with its lack of dust, excellent control of moisture and odors, and what Tidy Cats calls an “extended release deodorizing system.” That sounds good to us!
This litter also makes use of a proprietary bi-component system that is designed to neutralize odors and avoid the problems associated with dust. As with any new litter, make sure that you gradually wean your kitty off the previous brand by making use of a combination of both the old and new litters over the course of about 5 days. As you get closer to the fifth day, you can gradually increase the share of new litter until he or she is as happy as can be with the new brand.
- Superior odor control thanks to the Fresh Glade scent. No other scented litter on the market has this technology, making it one of the few litters that delivers a truly fresh scent throughout the area.
- A combination of odor and liquid absorption capabilities, great clumping attributes, and odor-fighting agents as part of the bi-component system means that your home will be smelling great.
- This product should not be used in automatic, self-cleaning litter boxes, as these types of products typically require a litter that clumps very quickly and with a certain level of strength.
- Some customers reported issues with dust and other side effects, so make sure to keep an eye out for any issues around it.
Scoop Away Complete Performance Scented Scoopable Cat Litter
The last product on our list is certainly not least. Scoop Away makes a great line of cat litters, and this scented scoopable variant passes the odor test with flying colors. This product was designed specifically for multi-cat households, so if you’re planning to provide litter for more than one cat, you may want to consider Scoop Away. It’s a clay-based, clumping, and scented cat litter, so if you prefer clumping for ease of cleanup and for use in automatic litter boxes, Scoop Away could be a great choice for you and your kitty household.
- Scoop Away uses proprietary Ammonia Shield technology to mitigate the growth of bacteria and prevent the propagation of ammonia odors throughout the home.
- With maximum clumping power, Scoop Away makes cleaning a simpler task rather than the usual chore.
- Designed with plat extracts to provide additional defenses against odors in a more natural way.
- Low-tracking and 99% dust-free.
- Some customers have complained about the firmness of the clumping action – but this may be a benefit if you’re using an automatic litter box.
- Some issues were reported with tracking, though these appear to be isolated.